Mysterious Britain Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mysterious Britain Forums

for the open discussion of all things paranormal.

HomeHome  Mysterious Britain mainpageMysterious Britain mainpage  Mailing ListMailing List  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cold Spots

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2007-08-24

Cold Spots Empty
PostSubject: Cold Spots   Cold Spots Icon_minipostedMon 22 Oct 2007, 4:17 am

Cold Spots seem to be linked with paranormal activity and often reported during vigils and in witness testimonies. But what is a cold spot?
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk
Mauro

Mauro

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-10-11

Cold Spots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold Spots   Cold Spots Icon_minipostedMon 22 Oct 2007, 6:14 am

To be honest with you I've always thought that cold spots are not very important in any paranormal investigation.
The reason they are so popular is that they can be accurately measured, so giving a break to the so-called "nuts and bolts" investigators, the ones who think that our present scientific knowledge can explain pretty much everything. Can you measure a poltergeist or weigh a ghost? No, even if you get a clear picture and have many reliable witnesses that's all you'll have left. And more sophisticated equipment (for example a gaussmeter) is usually outside of reach of the average researcher, both for financial and practical reasons. But a reliable infrared remote thermometer can now be had for a reasonable sum and can be operated by anybody who can read the instruction manual (no offense meant).
That's why in my opinion cold spots carry such a great importance in modern paranormal research: that's the only "hard data" that can be gathered by many researchers.
Having said that I am personally convinced that cold spots may or may not be linked to paranormal activity but are only a very small part of the picture.
For example when Harry Price rented the Borley Rectory to carry out his "ghost research" one of his most publicised findings was the discovery of two previously unknown cold spots inside the Rectory. No good came out of finding them, since they could not be related with other paranormal activities (for example the famous writings on the walls) excpet by saying that they happened in the same location.
Back to top Go down
Neil

Neil

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2007-08-26

Cold Spots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold Spots   Cold Spots Icon_minipostedMon 22 Oct 2007, 8:12 am

I remember watching a Most Haunted type programme, where two investigators were investigating the apparent haunting of a child's bedroom. They were poking around with a thermometer and claimed to have found a 'cold spot' above where the child slept. However this 'cold spot' was directly below the loft access hatch and, to me the hatch didn't look like it was a secure fit, so it's likely there would have been a slight draught coming through it. I know when I stand under the loft access hatch in my house - which isn't the most airtight of fits and has no insulation over it - it's like stepping into a shaft of cool air.
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2007-08-24

Cold Spots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold Spots   Cold Spots Icon_minipostedTue 23 Oct 2007, 6:10 am

As many people report cold spots and temperature is fairly easy to measure, why not take note of them, if only to prove they are totally natural. Drafts should also be measured and noted where possible whilst doing site examinations. With cold spots you tend to have a reported sudden drop in temperature, often felt by more than one person, the temperature then returns to normal. I think sudden drafts and the microclimate of the location will account for the majority of cold spots.

However there have been instances when people have reported a drop in temperature whilst the thermometers present show no change. So, provided the instruments are read correctly it leaves the question, is there a change in actual temperature or is it something making the witness feel colder or think it is colder? By this I don’t mean some malicious undead intelligence.
Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk
Sponsored content

Cold Spots Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cold Spots   Cold Spots Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Cold Spots
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mysterious Britain Forums :: Investigation :: Investigating the Paranormal-
Jump to: