Mysterious Britain Forums

for the open discussion of all things paranormal.

HomeHome  Mysterious Britain mainpageMysterious Britain mainpage  Mailing ListMailing List  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Glastonbury Zodiac

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ian
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2007-08-24

PostSubject: The Glastonbury Zodiac   Tue 06 Nov 2007, 7:08 am

In the 1920's Mrs Maltwood noticed that if you followches, rivers and earthworks etc on an Ordanace Survey Map of the Glastonbury area you can make out the signs of the Zodiac in a 10 mile diameter circle which has the village of Butleigh in the centre of it. The Zodiac has been suggested that it may be 3000 years old, then again it has also been suggested Aliens helped to build it.

What are your thoughts? A huge map laid of the zodiac over a large regional area, or a case of people seeing what they what they want see within the lines on an OS map?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk
Red Don

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2007-09-23

PostSubject: Re: The Glastonbury Zodiac   Thu 08 Nov 2007, 11:00 am

3000yrs old? Are the Zodiac images we know that old? Would Britains know what a Leo (Lion) looked like a thousand years before the Romans arrived? I think I also heard that part of the vacinity around Glastonbury was under water in the past.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mauro

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-10-11

PostSubject: Re: The Glastonbury Zodiac   Fri 09 Nov 2007, 7:35 am

You are right in your skepticism.
The present system of dividing the Zodiac in twelve signs was devised by the "Chaldean" astronomers during the so-called Neo-Persian kingdom (627-539 BC). Both the Egyptians and the more ancient Mesopotamian city-states (Ur, Eridu etc) used a four signs zodiac (probably based on the four seasons). The Babylonians, who were reckoned to be the best astrologers of the Ancient World, used an eighteen signs zodiac.
The twelve signs as we know them (Aries, Taurus etc) were first mentioned by the great astronomer and mathematician Ptolemy (d. 161 AD) , though he probably took it from more ancient sources, now long lost. It can be assumed that the present day zodiac was formed during the Hellenistic period (ie after Alexander's death in 323 BC) by combining knowledge coming from various areas of his immense empire.
Mrs Maltwood probably either ignored or decided to skip these datas altogether (which were already widely known in 1927 when she announced her discovery to the world).
The Glastonbury area has surely many unsolved mysteries but I don't think the Zodiac is one of them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ian
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2007-08-24

PostSubject: Re: The Glastonbury Zodiac   Fri 09 Nov 2007, 10:57 am

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who is dubious about the Glastonbury Zodiac Very Happy

I do certainly love Glastonbury though and have spent many a night in the Riflemans Arms (a free plug for the pub there Laughing ).
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Glastonbury Zodiac   

Back to top Go down

The Glastonbury Zodiac
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1