Mysterious Britain Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mysterious Britain Forums

for the open discussion of all things paranormal.

HomeHome  Mysterious Britain mainpageMysterious Britain mainpage  Mailing ListMailing List  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Chair That Moved

Go down 
+4
mysteryshopper
Mauro
agricola
Ian
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2007-08-24

The Chair That Moved Empty
PostSubject: The Chair That Moved   The Chair That Moved Icon_minipostedSun 13 Apr 2008, 3:20 am

I am looking into a haunting case at the moment and it has one very puzzling incident that I am struggling to come up with a natural explanation for. As it is an on going case I am not going to give any details about names, location etc.

This incident concerns a bedroom that had a bed with a metal head and foot board (which has since been sold so there is no opportunity to experiment with it). At the foot of the bed is a reasonale gap of a few feet then a desk up gainst the wall. Tucked under the desk is a heavy metal chair with a high back.

One night a few years ago the two occupants of the house were awoken by clanging of metal on metal. They searched the large house and found no evidence of a break in or an intruder. In the spare bedroom they discovered the heavy chair resting on a angle with the metal bead frame. The chair was tilted forward on it's two front legs and the rear ones braced against the bed.

When you pick the chair up single handed by the top of its back it's weight swings the bottom of the chair (ie rear two legs) backwards. This is how it was found, with the rear two legs having swung back and hit the bed and resing balanced like this aagainst the foot of the bed.

There is a large dog in the household but it was not responsible.

There have been no other instances of the chair moving. There are some instances of items going missing and re-appearing (like tv remotes etc) but nothing like this. Other incidents noticed in the house are footsteps and strange noises.

Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk
agricola

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: The Chair That Moved   The Chair That Moved Icon_minipostedSun 13 Apr 2008, 7:02 am

I'm assuming you've ruled out loose floor board and metal contracting/expanding?

Was it on castors?
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

PostSubject: Re: The Chair That Moved   The Chair That Moved Icon_minipostedSun 13 Apr 2008, 10:14 am

I wasn't on castors and the floor is carpeted. For it to move like that I think it would have to have been lifetd and swung back.
Back to top Go down
Mauro

Mauro

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-10-11

PostSubject: Re: The Chair That Moved   The Chair That Moved Icon_minipostedSun 13 Apr 2008, 10:38 am

How much does the chair weighs (roughly)? Does it seem well balanced or one of the feet is shorter than the others?
Also: does any of the occupants have a history of sleepwalking or memory losses? Where was the dog being kept when the fact happened? Are they positively, absolutely sure the chair was in its normal position before going to bed or is there a chance that it was moved before, for example by a housemaid doing her chores? Are they absolutely sure the metallic noise came from the spare bedroom? How is the dog reacting to the disturbances?
Back to top Go down
mysteryshopper

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: The Chair That Moved   The Chair That Moved Icon_minipostedSun 13 Apr 2008, 11:32 am

You're assuming that the incident happened as described. There are numerous other possibilities to consider. This leads to similar questions to Mauro's:

For instance, how do the witnesses know what state the chair was in before they found it? Could it have been in the state it was later found, or an unstable one, before the incident?

How do they/you know the dog wasn't involved?

Were both witnesses hear the bang and wake the other or were both woken at the same time?

How good is their memory of the incident?
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

PostSubject: Re: The Chair That Moved   The Chair That Moved Icon_minipostedSun 13 Apr 2008, 11:49 am

Before going to bed they went into that spare room to check something in the cupboard. For this they had to pass through the gap between desk and bed twice, therefore they are confident that when they went to bed the the chair was tucked under the table.

As I remember the chair is stable but I cannot guess at the weight (I'll check into it). The dog I beleive was locked in their bedroom with them as it was the first thought that jumped to my mind. As they recall, the noise was heard by both as it woke them up and they left their bedroom to investigate the noise together.

They seem very confident in their ability to recall the incident clearly.

Nothing else of this nature has been reported before or since as far as I am aware.
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

PostSubject: Re: The Chair That Moved   The Chair That Moved Icon_minipostedSun 13 Apr 2008, 11:52 am

The building is old and is set back from the road, which is not a large major road. There is no noticeable vibrations due to traffic etc and it is well insulated against noise so they are confident that the clanging metal was the chair and bed.
Back to top Go down
matt.h

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: The Chair That Moved   The Chair That Moved Icon_minipostedSun 13 Apr 2008, 12:02 pm

Is the chair made of metal too? Sounds a little far-fetched, but have you checked for any magnetism in either or both items?
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

PostSubject: Re: The Chair That Moved   The Chair That Moved Icon_minipostedSun 13 Apr 2008, 5:36 pm

Yes the chair is made of metal but the bed is now unavailable to investigate further. I am not one who believes in moving objects but I am struggling to explain it at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Neil

Neil

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2007-08-26

PostSubject: Re: The Chair That Moved   The Chair That Moved Icon_minipostedSun 13 Apr 2008, 5:57 pm

Did the chair have a solid backrest, if so would there have been an opportunity for a strong draft of wind from a nearby open window to have caught the backrest and blown the chair over?

Though the position the chair was allegedly found in does suggest manipulation with intent..
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

PostSubject: Re: The Chair That Moved   The Chair That Moved Icon_minipostedMon 14 Apr 2008, 2:16 am

The back is not solid and no windows were open, otherwise I think we would strongly have to suspect there was an intruder.
Back to top Go down
mysteryshopper

PostSubject: Re: The Chair That Moved   The Chair That Moved Icon_minipostedMon 14 Apr 2008, 4:32 am

I can recall several similar incidents of my own down the years (ie. loud crash heard from another place in the house). In all cases there was good reason to believe that the object that fell over had been unwittingly left in an unstable position.
Back to top Go down
agricola

PostSubject: Re: The Chair That Moved   The Chair That Moved Icon_minipostedMon 14 Apr 2008, 11:53 am

How does that quote go, once you've removed the possible, whatevers left, no matter how impossible, must be the truth? Or something like that. I'm now wondering about the reliability of witnesses?
Back to top Go down
wombat

wombat

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: The Chair That Moved   The Chair That Moved Icon_minipostedTue 15 Apr 2008, 6:30 am

There have been several reports lately of people who were taking medecine to help them sleep who then did strange things while in REM (gambling, over-eating, etc.) - is this a possibility?
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

PostSubject: Re: The Chair That Moved   The Chair That Moved Icon_minipostedTue 15 Apr 2008, 6:48 am

Quote :
I can recall several similar incidents of my own down the years (ie. loud crash heard from another place in the house). In all cases there was good reason to believe that the object that fell over had been unwittingly left in an unstable position.

I would agree with you Mysteryshopper apart from the perculiar angle that it was found in. It would have needed to slide back towards the bed then topple forward. I'll need to play with some chairs I think.

Quote :
There have been several reports lately of people who were taking medecine to help them sleep who then did strange things while in REM (gambling, over-eating, etc.) - is this a possibility?

I think we can rule this out Wombat but good thinking.
Back to top Go down
wombat

wombat

PostSubject: Re: The Chair That Moved   The Chair That Moved Icon_minipostedThu 17 Apr 2008, 6:12 pm

"My" ghost moves books and I am not on meds - just tryingt o think of a possible explanation! :-)
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

PostSubject: Re: The Chair That Moved   The Chair That Moved Icon_minipostedFri 18 Apr 2008, 6:01 am

You have moving books Wombat?
Back to top Go down
agricola

PostSubject: Re: The Chair That Moved   The Chair That Moved Icon_minipostedTue 22 Apr 2008, 1:42 pm

Any more updates in the field of chairology Ian?
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

PostSubject: Re: The Chair That Moved   The Chair That Moved Icon_minipostedWed 23 Apr 2008, 6:38 am

Nothing yet Agricola. I think we should trade mark Chairology Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
agricola

PostSubject: Re: The Chair That Moved   The Chair That Moved Icon_minipostedWed 23 Apr 2008, 11:40 am

£50 will buy you the rights to the term Chairology and entitle you to call yourself Ian, holder of the Chair in Chairology.

A bargain!
Back to top Go down
wombat

wombat

PostSubject: Re: The Chair That Moved   The Chair That Moved Icon_minipostedSat 26 Apr 2008, 11:12 am

(laughter)

Chair of Chairology, I like it.

I have, er, rather a lot of books, so it's not unusual for one placed precariously to fall over. On the other hand, when a book firmly on the shelf falls and falls when I am close by... and only when I am close by...

he likes to open doors, too.
Back to top Go down
PhenomInvestigator

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-03-03

PostSubject: Re: The Chair That Moved   The Chair That Moved Icon_minipostedSun 09 Nov 2008, 11:10 am

How do you rule out sonambulism? If we remove this as a rational possibilty, the next logical thing to contemplate is legitimate PK activity. To this end, let us inquire:

- what is the psychological state of the two individuals involved? Is there any antagonism in their relationship?

- what is the psychophysiological state of the individuals involved? Is there any history of neural disorders or dissociative events?

- have they witnessed any other phenomena of a PK (you might think 'poltergeist')nature?

- what are the magnetic fields in the location (bot geomag and electromag)?

If one or more percipients respond in the affirmative to their personal queries and there are detectable magnetic fields present, investigations in the U.S. have indicated you have a potential PK site and this may be the next most logical explanation.
Back to top Go down
mysteryshopper

PostSubject: Re: The Chair That Moved   The Chair That Moved Icon_minipostedSun 09 Nov 2008, 11:37 am

PhenomInvestigator wrote:
If one or more percipients respond in the affirmative to their personal queries and there are detectable magnetic fields present, investigations in the U.S. have indicated you have a potential PK site and this may be the next most logical explanation.

Do you have a link for that research, please?
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

PostSubject: Re: The Chair That Moved   The Chair That Moved Icon_minipostedMon 10 Nov 2008, 4:49 am

Yeh a lik to that research would be very helpful PhenomInvestigator. But to answer your questions, as far as I am aware there is no antagonism between the couple involved, and no neural disorders. There have been no other similar reports of poltergeist of PK like activity. As for electromagic fields, I have through interviewing pin pointed an area around which many of the reported instances occur but have not done a survey there yet.

Since the family have been keeping a diary of events the activity has stopped.
Back to top Go down
PhenomInvestigator

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-03-03

PostSubject: Re: The Chair That Moved   The Chair That Moved Icon_minipostedTue 18 Nov 2008, 1:51 pm

The research is being republished. It was originally described in the book "Aliens Above, Ghosts Below" by Dr. Barry E. Taff. Don't be put off by the title; Barry has long had an interest in the implications to consciousness research posed by the problems and issues associated with the UFO metaphenomena. The other articles were published in journals that are unfortunately not available online. I will check to see what the future publication plans are. I do believe an online copy will be available soon.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Chair That Moved   The Chair That Moved Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

The Chair That Moved
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mysterious Britain Forums :: Investigation :: Investigating the Paranormal-
Jump to: