Mysterious Britain Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mysterious Britain Forums

for the open discussion of all things paranormal.

HomeHome  Mysterious Britain mainpageMysterious Britain mainpage  Mailing ListMailing List  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Coincidences

Go down 
+2
mysteryshopper
Ian
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2007-08-24

Coincidences Empty
PostSubject: Coincidences   Coincidences Icon_minipostedTue 27 May 2008, 6:42 am

I have come across articles talking about coincidences and the paranormal. Are coincidences paranormal? Is anything too strange to be a coincidence? Are coincidences ever more than mere coincidence?
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk
mysteryshopper

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Coincidences Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coincidences   Coincidences Icon_minipostedWed 28 May 2008, 3:38 am

Coincidences happen all the time. We tend to notice them when they appear meaningful. I'm not sure that makes them paranormal but it makes for a good story.
Back to top Go down
matt.h

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-01-30

Coincidences Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coincidences   Coincidences Icon_minipostedWed 28 May 2008, 5:36 am

I agree, our tendency as humans to select which coincidences are significant and disregard others is a major problem for theories like Jung's synchronicity.
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

Coincidences Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coincidences   Coincidences Icon_minipostedThu 29 May 2008, 6:10 am

Personally I think your both right, I'd say coincidences are just coincidences and they are more common that we realise.
Back to top Go down
matt.h

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-01-30

Coincidences Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coincidences   Coincidences Icon_minipostedThu 29 May 2008, 7:11 am

I still think you have to be cautious when applying this approach. Occultists, for example, often claim more Synchronicity-style experiences in tandem with greater magic(k)al activity. Whilst I suspect it may remain a case of altered perception and our subjective view of the world, it occurs to me that there remains questions over the precise mechanics behind such alterations. How does such activity affect perception?
Back to top Go down
wombat

wombat

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Coincidences Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coincidences   Coincidences Icon_minipostedThu 29 May 2008, 4:36 pm

My coincedence is your miracle is someone else's paranormal. I distrust the word.
Back to top Go down
Turtlethrone

Turtlethrone

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2008-01-16

Coincidences Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coincidences   Coincidences Icon_minipostedFri 30 May 2008, 2:46 am

Quote :
I still think you have to be cautious when applying this approach. Occultists, for example, often claim more Synchronicity-style experiences in tandem with greater magic(k)al activity.

Good point Matt. I have a little tale to tell about a few coincidences. I saw a film once where a character always said Ju-Ju whilst holding a voodoo doll whenever he wanted to curse someone and I started to copy him, hence started the Ju-Ju coincidences. I would “curse” someone by trying to visualise my intention and triggering it by saying Ju-Ju…harmless fun.

There are two instances that really stand out though. Both times I was in a car and both times lee was driving and other witnesses were present. We were near Nottingham and a car cut us up and was driving fast an erratically. Disgusted someone said they wished he would crash around the next corner, I shouted Ju-Ju and when we got around the same corner he had crashed into a lamp post. The driver was drunk, the chances of him crashing was probably fairly high….just a coincidence. Shocked

Another time we were driving up the M6. I saw a car with a bicycle on top of it. I told the car occupants that bikes weren’t allowed on motorways, again, and again and again until they were getting really annoyed at me. They were telling me to shut up, so I said it again and added Ju-Ju…..the bike immediately flew off the top of the car and landed in our lane in front of us before bouncing away into the third lane. Luckily Lee hit the anchors and avoided a collision. It was just a coincidence but they still banned me from Ju-Juing whilst Lee was driving ever again…..not fair!

Most times when I say Ju-Ju now I just get strange looks........"Ju-Ju...Ju-Ju" Sad
Back to top Go down
LeeWat

LeeWat

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2007-09-02

Coincidences Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coincidences   Coincidences Icon_minipostedSun 01 Jun 2008, 4:12 pm

Turtle, did you Ju Ju that car the time the cardboard box flew out of his trailer ? i didnt manage to miss that one Shocked If you did, you owe me for a dent in the bonnet Laughing
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

Coincidences Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coincidences   Coincidences Icon_minipostedSun 06 Jul 2008, 6:47 am

I have a short, summer jacket. Actually I have lots of coats, but this one may be cursed. I have had it for about 8 years and every single time I wear it, it rains without fail. I put it on because the weather looks fine and hot......then as if my magic....rain. Is it a coincidence. Is it because I live in one of the wettest counties in Britain, or is it cursed?
Back to top Go down
wombat

wombat

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Coincidences Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coincidences   Coincidences Icon_minipostedSun 06 Jul 2008, 12:18 pm

Hang on - I have an article about clothing and hauntings - not too hard to find... just read it last night.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Coincidences Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coincidences   Coincidences Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Coincidences
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mysterious Britain Forums :: Investigation :: Science & Skepticism-
Jump to: