Mysterious Britain Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mysterious Britain Forums

for the open discussion of all things paranormal.

HomeHome  Mysterious Britain mainpageMysterious Britain mainpage  Mailing ListMailing List  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Renwick Cockatrice

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2007-08-24

Renwick Cockatrice Empty
PostSubject: Renwick Cockatrice   Renwick Cockatrice Icon_minipostedThu 05 Jun 2008, 12:47 am

Here is an account I dug out recently that got me thinking. In 1733 a cockatrice terrorized Renwick when the church was being demolished. The beast was slayen by John Tallantire with a rowan branch. The creature was described as resembling a bat. Apparently the cockatrice was again reported as having been seen in 1959.

The classic appearance of a cockatrice is considered to be that of a large rooster with a lizards tail and it is supposed to have the power to turn someone to stone at a glance. Maybe John just did fight a big bat with his stick.

Did he just fight a big bat and if so, it shows how a simple story could evolove over time.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk
DJP

DJP

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Renwick Cockatrice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Renwick Cockatrice   Renwick Cockatrice Icon_minipostedFri 06 Jun 2008, 1:52 am

Any referance for the 1959 sighting (were mind altering substances involved?), should we be looking for very lifelike stone statues in Renwick? Seriously though it would be interesting to find the original story, as it may have been repeated and exaggerated by many authors from a couple of lines in a penny dreadful, or it may have a more interesting source.
Back to top Go down
Mauro

Mauro

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-10-11

Renwick Cockatrice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Renwick Cockatrice   Renwick Cockatrice Icon_minipostedSat 07 Jun 2008, 9:52 am

I haven't even been able to find a proper date for the Renwick Cockatrice or more correctly crack-a-christ). Some source say 1733, others 1620. Given the vast number of basilisk cases all over Europe in the first half of the XVII century (Rome, Prague, Vienna etc) I favor the earlier date.
A very interesting part of the story is the fact that the Tallantire family was given exemption from tithes following this feat. If I remember correctly since 1530, after the Abolition of Monasteries, tithes had to be paid directly to the Crown. If the Tallantires obtained their exemption after this date there should be some trace of the feat. Unless, of course, it went conveniently lost during the Civil War... Wink
A popular line, though, gives the date as "during James I reign" (1603-1625), which will of course confirm the earlier date.
Back to top Go down
Urisk

Urisk

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2007-10-01

Renwick Cockatrice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Renwick Cockatrice   Renwick Cockatrice Icon_minipostedSun 03 Aug 2008, 9:59 am

Only problem iwth large bats is that the only ones that would qualify would be macrobats. Fruitbats and flying foxes. And they're all vegetarian.The largest British bat is the Noctule (Nyctalus noctula) which has a wingspan of 450mm.
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2007-08-24

Renwick Cockatrice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Renwick Cockatrice   Renwick Cockatrice Icon_minipostedThu 14 Aug 2008, 6:56 am

Got another Cockatrice here from Dale, Shetland.

A Cockatrice was supposedly killed here when the peat in which it was hiding were set on fire. It had, according to local tradition been found whilst still in its egg. A woman had got her hen to sit on the egg until it hatched. Unfortunately when it hatched it ate the hen's chicks then ran off
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Renwick Cockatrice Empty
PostSubject: Re: Renwick Cockatrice   Renwick Cockatrice Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Renwick Cockatrice
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mysterious Britain Forums :: Mysterious Britain :: Cryptozoology-
Jump to: