Mysterious Britain Forums

for the open discussion of all things paranormal.

HomeHome  Mysterious Britain mainpageMysterious Britain mainpage  Mailing ListMailing List  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

New Guitar (off topic)

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Ophiel

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: New Guitar (off topic)   Mon 09 Jun 2008, 5:48 am

Well, I have been enjoying my new Ibanez so much over the last few months that I had an unexpected windfall and decided to try a new guitar to add to it.

I have been doing loads of research and have decided on the following. A G&L ASAT classic telecaster. From what I can tell they are way better than modern Fender's (the 'L' in G&L stands for Leo Fender - these were the last guitars he designed, customised etc before he died).

I am into the blues and blues rock etc, and the sound / tone is wonderful. If anyone is thinking of getting a new guitar....check them out - they are currently the best keep secret....but that wont be for long.......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
matt.h

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: New Guitar (off topic)   Mon 09 Jun 2008, 6:56 am

I've heard good things about G&L, and the related (I think earlier) company Musicman, whose bass guitars and amps can go for big money. Still, I've yet to play a Fender or Fender copy that sounds better than my mid-1990s American tele - typically fast Fender neck and really, really bright bridge pickup.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LeeWat

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2007-09-02

PostSubject: Re: New Guitar (off topic)   Mon 09 Jun 2008, 11:14 am

I'd never heard of them before this thread, not my type of thing, i like my guitars pointy Smile But if it plays well and you enjoy it thats all that matters.

I did however have a play of a really old Gibson Les Paul a long time ago, another one of the not my type of thing but it was a dream to play, the frets were that low it felt like my hand was going to slip off Smile . Bloody heavy though.

Did you decide to take lessons or are you self learning ? Glad to see you've stuck with it.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk
Ophiel

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: New Guitar (off topic)   Thu 12 Jun 2008, 3:17 am

Yes - the G&Ls are regarded by many now as better than Fender for sound and quality. They do strats, semi-hollows, etc as well.

The pickups are custom and stronger than in the standard fender tele and the body is swamp ash (all original tele's were apparently in swamp ash - but Fender rarely use it now).

Some friends of mine state that only a Fender custom shop unit matches them for quality now (thats a 1500 guitar!!!). For around 500 that makes the G&L a bargin. I'm looking forward to it arriving........

Give 'G and L guitars' a google and check out their website.....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
LeeWat

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2007-09-02

PostSubject: Re: New Guitar (off topic)   Mon 30 Jun 2008, 11:51 am

Have you got it yet ? If so how does it play/sound ?
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Guitar (off topic)   

Back to top Go down

New Guitar (off topic)
Page 1 of 1