Mysterious Britain Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mysterious Britain Forums

for the open discussion of all things paranormal.

HomeHome  Mysterious Britain mainpageMysterious Britain mainpage  Mailing ListMailing List  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Talisman Question

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Kate

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Talisman Question Empty
PostSubject: Talisman Question   Talisman Question Icon_minipostedMon 30 Jun 2008, 3:18 pm

I am researching talismen used in various cultures. Does anyone know of a traditional symbol used in Scottish folklore? I noticed that charms are typical, but I am looking for a physical symbol.
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Mauro

Mauro

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-10-11

Talisman Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talisman Question   Talisman Question Icon_minipostedMon 30 Jun 2008, 11:13 pm

I'll help you for that little I know.
Most of the present day "Scottish charms" are a relatively recent invention: they became popular during the early years of Queen Victoria's reign when everything Scottish became fashionable, the ones made using "Scots pebbles" (agates) particulary. The recent craze in Celtic designs did the rest.
Traditionally Scottish talismans and amulets took the form of brooches. The best known one is the brooch of Lorne: it was lost by Robert the Bruce at the battle of Dail Righ, became the property of the Campbells and later ended up in possession of the Macdougals of Dunollie, who still possess it (though many believe it to be a later reproduction of the original, lost in a fire). Sir Walter Scott wote about it in the Lord of the Isles. It was assumed to cure sickness and protect the wearer in battle.
A very popular talisman in years past (XVIII century on) was the so-called Luckenbooth brooch, sold as a "souvenir" at the High Kirk of St Giles in Edinburgh. Imitators soon sprung up in all of Scotland. It's still a pretty popular sight in jewelry and souvenir shops and its meaning is pretty obvious.
I'll post more as I recollect memories.
Back to top Go down
DJP

DJP

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Talisman Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talisman Question   Talisman Question Icon_minipostedTue 01 Jul 2008, 1:45 am

Hi Kate

Welcome to the Forum, I am not sure of a physical generic symbol. There is however one example of a talisman of sorts in the Fairy Flag of the Clan Macleod that currently resides at Dunvagan Castle on the Isle of Skye. http://www.scmacleod.org/flag.htm

Items such as this are known as 'lucks' and were believed to hold the fortune of the clan/family to whom they belonged. They were taken into battle to try and ensure victory. There is a possibility that this was a common practice but (in the highlands and islands) much history was oral and was not written down so is difficult to research other examples.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2007-08-24

Talisman Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talisman Question   Talisman Question Icon_minipostedTue 01 Jul 2008, 6:17 am

Dan beat me the Fairy Flag here, but I'd like to welcome you the forum Kate and thank you for posting Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk
Inghinn

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-06-30

Talisman Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talisman Question   Talisman Question Icon_minipostedTue 01 Jul 2008, 1:11 pm

I've been wrecking my little brain about your question Kate and I couldn't come up with anything particularly Scottish. I was kinda trying to think of something the people would have used as talismans back in the mists of time and my guess would be brooches or other pieces of jewellery too, probably engraved or painted with something that's significant to the wearer rather than the country. It's all speculation of course but I would guess that the tribal people of Alba (Scotland) would have their personal totem animals or plants on talismans as there would be a very personal, protective connection. Hope this makes any sense.

Oh, and welcome to the forum from a fellow newbie!

Inghinn flower
Back to top Go down
Mauro

Mauro

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-10-11

Talisman Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talisman Question   Talisman Question Icon_minipostedWed 02 Jul 2008, 2:31 am

Two things that came to my mind yesterday.
First: under the Stuart the manufacture and sale of charms was forbidden under pain of death. This mirrored similar legislature in the Continent and as there proved to be remarkably ineffective (burning people at stake for wearing a necklace doesn't win the sympathy of your subjects).
Second: Scottish pearls (coming from a freshwater mussel whose name I forgot) have long been considered to increase the owner's potency and to help solving fertility issues. As such a few were used in manufacturing the Crown of Scotland...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Talisman Question Empty
PostSubject: Re: Talisman Question   Talisman Question Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Talisman Question
Page 1 of 1