Mysterious Britain Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mysterious Britain Forums

for the open discussion of all things paranormal.

HomeHome  Mysterious Britain mainpageMysterious Britain mainpage  Mailing ListMailing List  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Increase In Fuel Prices

Go down 
+2
Inghinn
Sparkle-
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Sparkle-

Sparkle-

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2008-05-23

Increase In Fuel Prices Empty
PostSubject: Increase In Fuel Prices   Increase In Fuel Prices Icon_minipostedTue 08 Jul 2008, 1:41 am

Dare I ask this question?: As it does effect everyone world wide, and is one of the main topics on the news at present: How are you all getting on with the sharp increase on the fuel??, I'm now noticing a huge difference when I fill my car up, think I'll soon be needing a bank loan for fuel alone, if this keeps up!!.... Also this has a knock on effect, price wise with everything else. Smile
Back to top Go down
Inghinn

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Increase In Fuel Prices   Increase In Fuel Prices Icon_minipostedTue 08 Jul 2008, 2:56 am

Tell me about it, Sparkle! I have a long commute to work so have to fill up my car every week. I used to be able to do that for around £35, now it's £55. Plus all the other bills that have shot up, like food and energy. OH and I both work full time and we have no kids so we're not exactly poverty stricken but we do feel the pinch and I really feel for the people that have families to feed and clothe and keep warm. The government will have to do something, seeing as most of the fuel prices we pay is tax.

Inghinn flower
Back to top Go down
mysteryshopper

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2008-02-05

PostSubject: Re: Increase In Fuel Prices   Increase In Fuel Prices Icon_minipostedTue 08 Jul 2008, 3:06 am

There's nothing much that CAN be done about fuel prices. Oil is being pumped at virtually full capacity but there is high demand, particularly from China, and speculators are making cash in the market.

But there is a good side to all this. It is accelerating development of green energy technologies which will be needed anyway soon. We are at 'peak oil' - the time when oil production reaches a maximum. The world needs to weaned off oil and temporary pain is, sadly, the only way to do it. It might help solve climate change as well!
Back to top Go down
Inghinn

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Increase In Fuel Prices   Increase In Fuel Prices Icon_minipostedTue 08 Jul 2008, 3:31 am

Yes Mysteryshopper, I agree with you. The sooner we become less dependant on oil, the better. But there are many people that suffer from the current circumstances, ie young families, pensioners, and I do feel that something's got to be done to ease their burden. How can it be that for example pensioners that have worked hard and paid tax all their lives end up freezing to death in their own homes because they can't pay their heating bills? It's just wrong.

Inghinn flower
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2007-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Increase In Fuel Prices   Increase In Fuel Prices Icon_minipostedTue 08 Jul 2008, 4:49 am

Luckily I only have a relatively short commute, about a 16 mile round trip. I have always tried to be a car pool though (for the last 11 years or so) and this has helped obviously.

Now we have started paying this much for fuel, I doubt it will drop back to a reasonable price.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk
wombat

wombat

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Increase In Fuel Prices   Increase In Fuel Prices Icon_minipostedTue 08 Jul 2008, 5:50 am

Stateside the price of gas is really hitting a lot of people hard - just in the last two days I've heard about ten people (as in people I know) losing their jobs because of the rapid increase in the price of fuel. Companies simply can't afford to pay for gas and a salary, and everyone thought that prices would go back down again after a while.

At least on my side of the Atlantic, part of the problem is the culture which has developed. We've stopped car pooling, we live for drive thrus and all of that. All of the chatter now is about ethanol - I am dubious about how practical that will prove to be, as it takes more gas to grow the corn, etc.

I have to say that I am slightly suspicious about all of the price increases. The cost of a gallon of gas has doubled in the past year... I'd like to know the profit margins being made by the oil folks while the rest of the economy dissolves. I'm enough of a capitalist to be in favor of making a profit, but there are limits, IMHO, to what's reasonable. Enron comes to mind...

I am very fortunate in that I can walk to work.

Anyway, enough of my ranting.
Back to top Go down
LeeWat

LeeWat

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2007-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Increase In Fuel Prices   Increase In Fuel Prices Icon_minipostedTue 08 Jul 2008, 11:34 am

Wombat, just a curious question, how much is a gallon of petrol over there ?
Back to top Go down
Sparkle-

Sparkle-

PostSubject: Re: Increase In Fuel Prices   Increase In Fuel Prices Icon_minipostedTue 08 Jul 2008, 12:11 pm

It's much about the same over here Wombat, I mix with a lot of the public and many of them are feeling the strain, especially the middle working class, I have heard of people paying for their food on credit cards, also going to cheaper stores for their food, buying a cheaper quality of food, Supermarkets are selling products at a loss to try and compete with one another, which can only go on for so long. Some friends of mine are not able to keep their mortgages going and have their houses on the market for less than what they paid for them, which must be a huge worry, as property in our area has come almost to a stand still, smaller businesses are also suffering, people in general are pulling in their belts. Also have heard a lot about family's having their house repossess and living in B&B until they get re-homed, must be a nightmare for them.
I think it wouldn't mater what kind of fuel we use, as the government would always put a heavy tax on it, or find some way round about it to make it expensive, not too many years ago diesel was the way to go, it was dirt cheap, everyone changed over to that, and what happened, price shot up, and as for global warming, I strongly believe this would have happened anyway, when you look back 1000's years ago and more, the cycle that the earth has gone through, even before mankind was around, the world went through natural changes of it's own, maybe what we are doing is not helping, but I think it's just the earth doing what comes natural, and it's an excuse for certain people to jump on that, and blame our live styles, to put a heavy price on things, we are not the ones benefiting from it anyhow.
We are fortunate and not anywhere near this stage, but we are finding things more expensive and starting to try to cut back on things that we feel that we could do without. Sad
Back to top Go down
wombat

wombat

PostSubject: Re: Increase In Fuel Prices   Increase In Fuel Prices Icon_minipostedWed 09 Jul 2008, 7:29 am

LeeWat - I filled up last night for $4.15 a gallon - obviously the price varies from place to place. I found a receipt from last summer showing that I paid $2.10 in June.

I know, I know, as an American I pay far less than folks in Europe. Obviously the increase is unpleasant all around, but it's the rapidity with which it has taken place that I find suspicious.

There are several houses in my neighborhood that have been lost to the bank and sold at auction. The saddest part is that the families all moved out without saying good-bye to anyone, as they were so ashamed of what had happened.

I don't know if the Enron scandal made much news in Britain - Enron was a power company. They deliberately withheld electrical power during a heat wave so that they could jack up the price of what remained. This resulted in rolling black-outs, deaths due to heat strokes, hospitals on emergency generators, etc. They turned a huge profit as a result... then the scandal broke and thousands of employees who were not involved lost their jobs and their life savings. I'm not a conspiracy-type, but I do wonder if a bit of that might be going on at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Sparkle-

Sparkle-

PostSubject: Re: Increase In Fuel Prices   Increase In Fuel Prices Icon_minipostedWed 09 Jul 2008, 7:51 am

It makes me so sad hearing stories like that, I wouldn't want to be in that position at all, these poor families have worked hard all their days to make a home, and life for themselves, and what have they got at the end of it? but one never knows what the future holds for any of us , no matter what job we are in, as at the end of the day, no job is really that secure, for one reason or another.
Back to top Go down
LeeWat

LeeWat

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2007-09-02

PostSubject: Re: Increase In Fuel Prices   Increase In Fuel Prices Icon_minipostedWed 09 Jul 2008, 1:24 pm

There seems to be some really hefty nest feathering going on in my opinion. Your price hike in America Wombat seems to have happened faster than over here, ours have been steadaly creeping up at a couple of pence a month for what seems to be years, in my area we are looking at £1.17 a litre and elsewhere is up to £1.25 and above for Unleaded and a lot more for diesel. That works out at over 10 USD a gallon, give or take.
I remember back in the midsts of time being able to fill my moped up for about a quid, i think it held about a gallon but it would do about 100 miles to that Smile
Thinking about that though, last year you were paying just over $2 for a gallon, thats what i was paying 20 odd years ago !! But the price you and i pay cannot really be compared as i dont know what the average wage, cost of living, taxes and so on are over there.

The really worrying thing is if oil is running out then it will effect all forms of industry, from the most basic of mechanical devices such as a pedal cycle to major power plants, if there is no oil there is no lubrication for moving parts. I'm assuming that there are alternatives being worked on though, but when they start using vegetable oil what are we going to fry our chips in ??

The Enron scandal was very much bandied about the company i work for a couple of years ago. I work for Tyco (not the toy company), and our big cheese in America had just been caught for Tax evasion, something to do with some artwork that was supposed to be in the head office in bermuda but ended up in his new york apartment (or someting like that) and he hadnt paid the import tax on it, a measly 27,000 dollers. And it opened a very, very large can of worms.
In his years at Tyco, Mr.K had (alledgedly) removed around 400 million dollars of company money for his own gains, and his direct underlings took 200 mil or so each. I think hes in sing sing at the moment serving 25 years with his good freind and cell mate Ben Dover.
Back to top Go down
wombat

wombat

PostSubject: Re: Increase In Fuel Prices   Increase In Fuel Prices Icon_minipostedThu 10 Jul 2008, 7:42 am

Lee - love your comment about the chip frying, Laughing.

There was a piece on the radio the other day about RVs using used vegetable oil as fuel; McDonalds could fry the appropriate items and then the grease would run the engines.
Back to top Go down
Sparkle-

Sparkle-

PostSubject: Re: Increase In Fuel Prices   Increase In Fuel Prices Icon_minipostedThu 10 Jul 2008, 10:50 am

They've been talking about it in this country for a while, in fact the Guy down the road from us runs his motors on the cooking oil, and when he drives by it makes you feel hungry, as it smells like a chip shop. Laughing In fact there is a website that tells you the right amount of mix to use, not sure what site it is though, but if you were to Google it, I'm sure you'd find it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Increase In Fuel Prices   Increase In Fuel Prices Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Increase In Fuel Prices
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mysterious Britain Forums :: General Discussion :: General Chat-
Jump to: