Mysterious Britain Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mysterious Britain Forums

for the open discussion of all things paranormal.

HomeHome  Mysterious Britain mainpageMysterious Britain mainpage  Mailing ListMailing List  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Just out of interest...

Go down 
+3
wombat
Inghinn
Urisk
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Urisk

Urisk

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2007-10-01

Just out of interest... Empty
PostSubject: Just out of interest...   Just out of interest... Icon_minipostedSun 31 Aug 2008, 6:37 am

I'm not suggesting anything at this very early stage, but would members of this fine forum be interested in a meet-up some time in the future? On another forum there was a small meetup in Edunburgh for a ghost-walk and it seemed to be a success (I had to back out due to funds... or lack thereof Crying or Very sad ), but if enough interest were generated I suppose there could be an event put on? Even if it were as simple as a pre-existing activity such as a ghost walk, or hiring a hall for a day and having a small conference (I say on a small scale!) where members here can take to the stage for short lectures on a given subject; from the whimsical to the deep and scientific. A sort of "members' forum" if you will.

Would anyone be interested in such a thing? I've been to a few conferences this year with my job, the best probably being a Scottish bird conference in Birnam hosted by the SOC; and that had a lot of varied content, as well as a couple second-hand book stalls.

Bit ambitious? Personally I don't think so (depending on costs, obviously).
Back to top Go down
Inghinn

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Just out of interest...   Just out of interest... Icon_minipostedSun 31 Aug 2008, 9:53 am

I'd be interested in meeting up. It'll probably be difficult to get everyone to get together... tried that with another forum and it never worked out due to travel distances. I noticed there's quite a few members here in Scotland, maybe we can arrange something. (Just as long as I don't have to go into the Edinburgh Vaults ever again!! lol)

Inghinn
Back to top Go down
wombat

wombat

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-04-06

PostSubject: Re: Just out of interest...   Just out of interest... Icon_minipostedSun 31 Aug 2008, 6:36 pm

Trans-Atlantic travel is a bit out of my budget these days, but if you do seem to have lots of folks from Scotland in the group that might be more viable. On another forum, we found a quorum of folks who lived within a close enough radius to get together and we had a wonderful time. The only problem was that we kept using our forum names instead of our given names! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DJP

DJP

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Just out of interest...   Just out of interest... Icon_minipostedMon 01 Sep 2008, 1:56 am

Ian and I have talked (for years) about a Mysterious Britain conference/event for some time in the future, which could be an opportunity for a meet if enough people were interested, probably some time after the launch of the new site. The most likely location would be Cumbria, but as always this is open to discusion.

Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2007-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Just out of interest...   Just out of interest... Icon_minipostedTue 02 Sep 2008, 5:31 am

Sounds good to me. Will there be beer? Laughing .
Back to top Go down
forester

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-08-04

PostSubject: Re: Just out of interest...   Just out of interest... Icon_minipostedTue 02 Sep 2008, 7:32 am

I'd love to meet up with other like-minded souls but I live in the deep South (any further South and you get wet!) . . . . any more softy Southerners out there Question
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

PostSubject: Re: Just out of interest...   Just out of interest... Icon_minipostedThu 04 Sep 2008, 3:23 pm

I think there are a few southerners on this site Forester. I really do think a meeting of some sort is a very good idea. I would love to hear some more opinions and suggestions, we'll be able to make a few decisions from there.
Back to top Go down
agricola

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2008-02-26

PostSubject: Re: Just out of interest...   Just out of interest... Icon_minipostedThu 18 Sep 2008, 1:57 pm

Was jsut thinkingtoday, as I flicked through the latest FT, it would be good to have something 'up north' that competes with (and indeed is better and perhaps more academic) FTs Unconvention. Perhaps some sort of partnership with one of the Universities. Edinburgh has the Koestler Unit, although some controversy there and they don't seem particularly organised. Carlisle has its uni, but not sure what the research interests are there and then there's Lancaster which use to have a few researchers.
Back to top Go down
Urisk

Urisk

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2007-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Just out of interest...   Just out of interest... Icon_minipostedFri 26 Sep 2008, 4:32 am

It's just a pity that Highland Mysteryworld at Ballachulish no longer exists. That was a truly superb folklore centre and would have made a brilliant venue! Sad

Can't believe they decided to close down just because of the Foot and Moth scare; it was on the main road to Fort William and everything... and now what's in its place? yet another water sports centre...

Does anyone know what happened to the props, and more importantly, is there any prospect of pushing someone like the Lottery Fund to re-establish the place?
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

PostSubject: Re: Just out of interest...   Just out of interest... Icon_minipostedFri 26 Sep 2008, 6:12 am

I must admit I had never heard of Highland Mysteryworld before Urisk. I think a conference would be a good idea at some point, but you would need somewhere easily accessible with good road and rail routes I think.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just out of interest...   Just out of interest... Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Just out of interest...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mysterious Britain Forums :: General Discussion :: Groups-
Jump to: