Mysterious Britain Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mysterious Britain Forums

for the open discussion of all things paranormal.

HomeHome  Mysterious Britain mainpageMysterious Britain mainpage  Mailing ListMailing List  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Where are the modern faeries?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
stephen

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Where are the modern faeries? Empty
PostSubject: Where are the modern faeries?   Where are the modern faeries? Icon_minipostedThu 04 Oct 2007, 4:44 pm

only the names have been changed it seems - in the past faeries were accused of abducting people, returning them afterwards with tales of missing time and life in fairy rings, stolen children and fairy children, paranormal activity and lights in the sky. Sounds familiar? Aliens and UFO tales seem to be the new interpretation of such events. So what tales exist of faery sightings - do they still happen? Do they exist in places that are now the haunt of aliens and ufo sightings?
Back to top Go down
http://www.forteantimes.com
Urisk

Urisk

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2007-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Where are the modern faeries?   Where are the modern faeries? Icon_minipostedFri 05 Oct 2007, 11:09 am

I suppose this also rings true with sleep paralysis as well then. In the past it was the succubus/incubus, a type of demon (or faery, since they are really interchangeable terms anyway, traditionally), whereas now, more often than not they seem to be recalled as alien abductions.

Or could it be more that instead of faeries being extraterrestrials... could it be that the aliens we percieve are actually faeries, their essence altered by our perceptions due to modern media??
Back to top Go down
stephen

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2007-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Where are the modern faeries?   Where are the modern faeries? Icon_minipostedSat 06 Oct 2007, 2:36 am

I'd forgotten about the incubus/succubus - although I think that would cover sleep paralysis and hypnopompic/hypnogogic visions whilst in bed etc accompanied by visions of aliens - funny how the imagery is so alike between people! Dark hooded monks and women in white etc yet no specific detail.

The faery tales though seem to occur on lonely woodlands and the like, outside - certainly the interpretation of aliens could be mistaken for something else, as could the faery imagery - after all the images are still of humanoid forms - maybe something older. But with the talk of aliens so often these days, I do wonder if anyone still reports sightings of faeries instead.
Back to top Go down
http://www.forteantimes.com
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2007-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Where are the modern faeries?   Where are the modern faeries? Icon_minipostedSat 06 Oct 2007, 6:23 am

In our culture today we are brought up not to believe in Faeries, the term Fairy Tales refers to made up stories for children. However we are constantly being exposed to ghost stories, horror films and tales of aliens. Therefore anything witnessed is likely to be associated with what the viewer can relate to, ie Aliens, Ghost etc. I do not think anyone has come to me reporting the sighting of a faery.

I did find the film Pans Labyrinth a breath of fresh air.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Where are the modern faeries?   Where are the modern faeries? Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Where are the modern faeries?
Page 1 of 1