Mysterious Britain Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mysterious Britain Forums

for the open discussion of all things paranormal.

HomeHome  Mysterious Britain mainpageMysterious Britain mainpage  Mailing ListMailing List  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Links for Dan

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Ophiel

Ophiel

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-02-01

Links for Dan Empty
PostSubject: Links for Dan   Links for Dan Icon_minipostedWed 13 Feb 2008, 6:28 am

or any one else interested in this......i find this hilarious and amazing.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owAj5LiXG5w
Back to top Go down
Ophiel

Ophiel

Links for Dan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Links for Dan   Links for Dan Icon_minipostedWed 13 Feb 2008, 6:30 am

and here the greatist does what he does best....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bcp8v04Zw-E
Back to top Go down
Urisk

Urisk

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2007-10-01

Links for Dan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Links for Dan   Links for Dan Icon_minipostedThu 14 Feb 2008, 4:07 am

Aha, Canon Rock! Anyone seen the original by Jerry C? I've tried to play this... I think I got a little bit into it (probably minus the sweep picking lol- that technique completely escapes me). You can get Jerry's tab online.

However, like Jerry C made that song his own, this guy's gone and done the same. Superb!
Back to top Go down
DJP

DJP

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Links for Dan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Links for Dan   Links for Dan Icon_minipostedThu 14 Feb 2008, 1:30 pm

Both are excellent,

More of a Stevie Ray Vaughan/blues fan, although I did go through a Malmsteen phase when I first started playing 18 years ago. The Steve Via one starts off with a similar feel to Hendix's Little Wing, well in my opinion.

The first guy has had a lot of hits - more than Steve Via. I suppose there is something to be said about not getting out much. Smile

Danny P.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk
Urisk

Urisk

Links for Dan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Links for Dan   Links for Dan Icon_minipostedSat 16 Feb 2008, 9:16 am

As good as Vai and Satch are... and at the risk of being burned at the stake here... I'm not that big a fan. Sure they can noodle their scalloped-fretted socks off, but to me their stuff always seems pretty soulless. I'm much more a fan of Eddie Van Halen. At least when he plays it sounds like a guitar as opposed to a spaceship taking off.

And I kid you not (although you'll probably all laugh at me) my favourite guitarist has to be, hands down, Dave Murray from Iron Maiden. I know Maiden are better known for "being that loud, heavy metal band" as opposed to for their melody (which is quite frankly criminal, as Maiden are one of the most melodic rock bands out there!) but there's something about Dave's bluesy, effortless, flowing style; the emotion just bleeds through so strongly. If no-one believes me, have a search for Afraid to Shoot Strangers, Como Estas Amigos, Children of the Damned , Blood Brothers or Powerslave...

Controversial opinions??
Back to top Go down
matt.h

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-01-30

Links for Dan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Links for Dan   Links for Dan Icon_minipostedSat 16 Feb 2008, 11:35 am

I've never really been a fan of traditional rock guitarists. I can see the skill involved in some of it, and no-one can deny the talent of people like Hendrix or Page, but my favourite guitarists have been the ones who have sought to do something weird and different, people like Tom Verlaine of Television or Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead. I suppose in the grander scheme of "weird and different" music those two seem pretty staid, but I love the pure expression they bring to guitar playing and they've both been a massive influence on my playing and songwriting.
Back to top Go down
DJP

DJP

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Links for Dan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Links for Dan   Links for Dan Icon_minipostedSat 16 Feb 2008, 2:23 pm

I thinks its good, as a player, to try a number of styles but agree technique for technique's sake becomes a bit dry. One of my favorite players is Peter Green - not seen as a great technical master but was such an emotive player at his height, before his struggle with mental illness - probably to much acid drunken

I would agree about Dave Murray and Iron Maiden, I spent ages as a teenager trying to learn the first two albums, and the Powerslave solo was a bit of a rite of passage with my mates, couldn't play it now and haven't listened to it for years.

Matt, I would also agree about Tom Verlaine - Marquee Moon has always been a favorite track of mine, the solo of Radioheads Paranoid Android is pretty mental. It's quite brave to go out on a limb. I do think that traditional rock guitarists were inovaters in their own way: Not many people had played with the distorted level and tone as Clapton on The Beano Album, Hendrix was a master of using feedback and distortion musically, and his experiments with effects and layering, and also his mix of partial chords and lead lines were was ahead of his time of course he nicked a lot from the blues players.
Smile
Back to top Go down
Ophiel

Ophiel

Links for Dan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Links for Dan   Links for Dan Icon_minipostedMon 18 Feb 2008, 2:27 am

I agree that the fast rock can seem totally souless at times. I think Vai does a good job though - as good as could perhaps be done - within that genre of music. He is very melodic.

Long forgotten favs include Tony Iommi & Richie Blackmore - both produce excellent powerful rock riffs.

I am a big fan of Clapton, Hendrix, Robert Cray, Stevie Ray, etc.....
Back to top Go down
Urisk

Urisk

Links for Dan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Links for Dan   Links for Dan Icon_minipostedMon 18 Feb 2008, 7:32 am

Even more kudos to Tony for being able to play with plastic tips on two of his fingers!! Shocked

I dunno... you lost 2 fingers on your strumming hand in a welding accident and you still keep playing! THat's like Richard Allen from Def Lep. Lose and arm- become a better drummer! Amazing, some people.
Back to top Go down
matt.h

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-01-30

Links for Dan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Links for Dan   Links for Dan Icon_minipostedMon 18 Feb 2008, 11:11 am

Is that a young David Coulthard in that first Youtube link?!
Back to top Go down
LeeWat

LeeWat

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2007-09-02

Links for Dan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Links for Dan   Links for Dan Icon_minipostedSat 01 Mar 2008, 9:11 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Links for Dan Empty
PostSubject: Re: Links for Dan   Links for Dan Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Links for Dan
Page 1 of 1