Mysterious Britain Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mysterious Britain Forums

for the open discussion of all things paranormal.

HomeHome  Mysterious Britain mainpageMysterious Britain mainpage  Mailing ListMailing List  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Books on animal lore??

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Urisk

Urisk

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2007-10-01

Books on animal lore?? Empty
PostSubject: Books on animal lore??   Books on animal lore?? Icon_minipostedThu 20 Mar 2008, 1:16 pm

Hey all. I have a mission of sorts for everyone here. Does anyone know of any books about animal-based folklore? There is some in Marian McNeill's The Silver Bough, but that's really just based on the Pictish "totem" animals...

A good example of the information I'd like would be what I know about nightjars- the whole "goat-sucker" story, as well as the one about North American whipoorwills ( that was used to noteable effect by H P Lovecraft in "the Dunwitch Horror"). Things like that regarding other animals, particularly birds. If there are any books on the subject I would be very grateful for any information Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Mauro

Mauro

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Books on animal lore??   Books on animal lore?? Icon_minipostedFri 21 Mar 2008, 1:14 am

This is pretty much a very delicate area. Jan Bondeson's The Feejee Mermaid and Other Essays in Natural and Unnatural History and the recent a slightly more commercial The Cat Orchestra and the Elephant Butler provide some very useful material, for example a in-depth look from the medical and biological point of view at some interesting animal stories, like the Barnacle goose being born by spontaneous generation and so on.
Bondeson is a particular favorite of mine and highly recommended.
Another interesting book is The Animal Lore of Shakespeare's Time Including Quadrupeds, Birds, Reptiles, Fish and Insects by Emma Phipson. Its a tad expensive and starts to show some signs of aging (being written 1883) but I am unaware of other comparable works.
There are also some other works out there but you have to be careful not to walk into the vast New-Age, pseudo-Druidic literature...
Back to top Go down
Tris

Tris

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2007-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Books on animal lore??   Books on animal lore?? Icon_minipostedTue 25 Mar 2008, 5:16 am

I'll definetly check some of these out if I can. Sounds like an interesting topic.
Back to top Go down
Urisk

Urisk

PostSubject: Re: Books on animal lore??   Books on animal lore?? Icon_minipostedSat 29 Mar 2008, 12:57 pm

Thanks Mauro. Sorry for the late reply- I've just started a new job, and it's been hectic. In fact this thread was started because of work, in a manner of speaking. I will be taking guided walks over the summer and hoped to include folklore in the walks- mostly on plant lore and animal lore.
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2007-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Books on animal lore??   Books on animal lore?? Icon_minipostedSat 29 Mar 2008, 2:52 pm

Congratulations on the job Urisk Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk
Mauro

Mauro

PostSubject: Re: Books on animal lore??   Books on animal lore?? Icon_minipostedSun 30 Mar 2008, 10:45 am

Congratulations on your new job. I have a biologist friend who's well into what you call "animal lore" and I'll be sure to ask him for more titles.
Back to top Go down
Urisk

Urisk

PostSubject: Re: Books on animal lore??   Books on animal lore?? Icon_minipostedSun 30 Mar 2008, 12:33 pm

Thanks guys! Very Happy And that would be very much appreciated Mauro! If you find yourself in Scotland this summer please do pop by Loch of the Lowes near Dunkeld, because you will find me there! I'm the new seasonal ranger there Very Happy:D:D The folklore is for the walks I will be doing from Dunkeld as much as it is for myself.
Back to top Go down
DJP

DJP

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Books on animal lore??   Books on animal lore?? Icon_minipostedSun 30 Mar 2008, 7:02 pm

Hi Urisk

Congrats on your new job, I have a readers digest guide to the wild flowers of Britain which has a lot of folklore in its text. I am not at home just now - out on research - but I will get you the name of the book when I return. I have found it a great source book for the folk beliefs that were once a part common lore. I have it as a two part collection: one for wild flowers and the other is a reference for trees and flowering shrubs: Do I sound like Alan Titchmarsh I would F*****G hope not?

All the best

DJP
Back to top Go down
Mauro

Mauro

PostSubject: Re: Books on animal lore??   Books on animal lore?? Icon_minipostedTue 01 Apr 2008, 1:56 am

I may as well take a detour during a visit to Aberdeen... you never know!
While I am waiting for a reply from my friend I've found a little book in my library that you may find useful: Raymond Lamont-Brown Scottish Superstitions Chambers, Edinburgh 1990.
As the title says it's a generic book, not terribly well researched, but chances are the park souvenir shop or your local library has a copy of it. But with chapters such as Creatures of the Sea and River and Birds of Fortune and Insects of Destiny and a quite low asking price (mine was £ 2.50) it may be well worth checking it out.
Back to top Go down
DJP

DJP

PostSubject: Re: Books on animal lore??   Books on animal lore?? Icon_minipostedThu 03 Apr 2008, 3:39 pm

The two books are:

Readers Digest Wild flowers of Britain, and Readers Digest Trees and shrubs of Britain. Not much about animals but good reference books for the plant lore part of the job.

By the way my previous Alan Titchmarsh comment was alcohol induced drunken
Back to top Go down
Urisk

Urisk

PostSubject: Re: Books on animal lore??   Books on animal lore?? Icon_minipostedSat 05 Apr 2008, 7:08 am

Laughing Dan, you've sealed your fate. I doub't you'll get away from the fact that you will now be known as the Alan Titchmarsh of the forum Laughing Maybe the sweary Titchmarsh Laughing

Mauro, that book does sound like it might be worth looking for; especially given its price! There are very few books in the reserve shop that deal with folklore, and none that are solely on lore. Flora Celtica might have some info, and I've got a copy of Scottish Mammals hidden away for me that might help. Just let me know when you're heading up, I'm sure I can arrange to be "in" that day.
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2007-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Books on animal lore??   Books on animal lore?? Icon_minipostedSat 05 Apr 2008, 8:25 am

Quote :
Dan, you've sealed your fate. I doub't you'll get away from the fact that you will now be known as the Alan Titchmarsh of the forum. Maybe the sweary Titchmarsh

And not just on the forum Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
DJP

DJP

PostSubject: Re: Books on animal lore??   Books on animal lore?? Icon_minipostedSat 05 Apr 2008, 4:45 pm

Thanks for that.

I have nothing against Alan: (although I am still haunted by Pebble Mill at One, and Ground Force ((That Charlie should have worn a sports bra))

but I can think of better icons - actually his new book about the British Countryside and wildlife is pretty good and he seems to have written quite a lot of it - and as for swearing if it's good enough for Gordon Ramsey......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Books on animal lore??   Books on animal lore?? Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Books on animal lore??
Page 1 of 1