Mysterious Britain Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mysterious Britain Forums

for the open discussion of all things paranormal.

HomeHome  Mysterious Britain mainpageMysterious Britain mainpage  Mailing ListMailing List  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Why Use Science?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
moneypenny

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2007-08-30

Why Use Science? Empty
PostSubject: Why Use Science?   Why Use Science? Icon_minipostedWed 19 Sep 2007, 6:27 am

Does using scientific methods hinder our ability to experience a paranormal event?
Back to top Go down
stephen

Number of posts : 88
Registration date : 2007-08-29

Why Use Science? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Use Science?   Why Use Science? Icon_minipostedThu 20 Sep 2007, 1:51 am

In the case of the paranormal it could be argued that Schroedinger's principal applies and that having witnesses to the event could be a cause of the event itself - but to have any hope of studying the paranormal I think you'd have to follow rigourous recording procedures. If the event is a one off or repeating it would be good to get good information on what happened. A scientific viewpoint could also reveal any mistakes made - witness error in spotting a natural phenomenon, or help to recreate the conditions to maybe repeat the experience - if indeed some hauntings are linked to electromagnetic disturbances (which have been tied into the effects of temporal lobe epilepsy), and other such theories.

As long as science doesn't debunk the event before it has even been witnessed then I don't think there should be a problem.
Back to top Go down
http://www.forteantimes.com
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2007-08-24

Why Use Science? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Use Science?   Why Use Science? Icon_minipostedThu 20 Sep 2007, 6:21 am

I would always advocate a scientific approach to investigating paranormal experiences. If your investigation is not carried out in a scientific manner with sufficient controls and a good experimental design, then the scientific community shouldn't accept accept your findings.

I want to try and understand the paranormal better and help uncover the mechanics behind it, but I feel that if the results you get aren't going to be accepted then why bother trying?

I don't think taking a scientific approach hinders your ability to have an experience as I have been on vigils in controlled conditions and had experiences that are as yet unexplained. Good question Moneypenny Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2007-08-24

Why Use Science? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Use Science?   Why Use Science? Icon_minipostedSat 06 Oct 2007, 8:46 am

As a good friend of mine keeps saying, "You don't need to be a scientist to be scientific".

Anyone can approach a case in a scientific manner and they will probably get more satisfaction out of their investigation.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk
Sponsored content

Why Use Science? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Why Use Science?   Why Use Science? Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Why Use Science?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mysterious Britain Forums :: Investigation :: Investigating the Paranormal-
Jump to: