Mysterious Britain Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mysterious Britain Forums

for the open discussion of all things paranormal.

HomeHome  Mysterious Britain mainpageMysterious Britain mainpage  Mailing ListMailing List  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Mental Health

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2007-08-24

Mental Health Empty
PostSubject: Mental Health   Mental Health Icon_minipostedTue 20 May 2008, 12:12 pm

I have heard that depression causes or is a consequence of a chemical imbalance in the brain. Would this inhibit a potential paranormal experience or make one more likely? Do you know of any studies regarding reported paranormal experiences and the mental health of the of the witness involved. I know this will become tied in with the potential effects of medication being taken, but it's just a thought.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk
Mauro

Mauro

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-10-11

Mental Health Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mental Health   Mental Health Icon_minipostedWed 21 May 2008, 1:51 am

I don't know about depression (which today is used even for states which are not "classic" depression, like chronic fatigue from overwork) but here's an interesting thing.
Dr James Fleming McHarg, Royal Navy military surgeon, much respected psychiatrist in his civilian life and pioonering neurosurgeon, investigated the relation between brain disfunctions and paranormal experiences.
His studies particulary focused on temporal lobe disfunctions, though all the patients who confirmed having had "paranormal" experiences also suffered from very serious ailments, like epilepsy or various brain deformities.
And that's all.
Back to top Go down
mysteryshopper

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Mental Health Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mental Health   Mental Health Icon_minipostedSat 24 May 2008, 5:51 am

It is not yet known what causes mental disorders. Chemical imbalances noted among patients could be a symptom rather than a cause.
Back to top Go down
wombat

wombat

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Mental Health Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mental Health   Mental Health Icon_minipostedSat 24 May 2008, 12:23 pm

I don't think (based upon just my own experience) that meds make any difference as to being able to sense supernatural activity. I have taken them, off and on (currently off) for three decades, and experienced the unexplainable in both conditions.
Back to top Go down
wombat

wombat

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Mental Health Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mental Health   Mental Health Icon_minipostedSat 24 May 2008, 12:24 pm

P.S. For teh record, I'm not actually 87! Cool
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mental Health Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mental Health   Mental Health Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Mental Health
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mysterious Britain Forums :: Investigation :: Science & Skepticism-
Jump to: