Mysterious Britain Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mysterious Britain Forums

for the open discussion of all things paranormal.

HomeHome  Mysterious Britain mainpageMysterious Britain mainpage  Mailing ListMailing List  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Saddleworth

Go down 
+4
matt.h
mysteryshopper
DJP
Ian
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2007-08-24

Saddleworth Empty
PostSubject: Saddleworth   Saddleworth Icon_minipostedThu 05 Jun 2008, 12:50 am

Came across another article on Mysteriousbritain by accident but I remember when I first heard about the case and was wondering if anyone had any views on the matter.

http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk/occult/bm.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk
DJP

DJP

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Saddleworth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddleworth   Saddleworth Icon_minipostedThu 05 Jun 2008, 1:40 am

Been a while since I read that one, I think the account was sent to us in 2001. I thought at the time it was probably just people playing about rather than anything with bigger implications. There was a bit of a crusade by the MP Geoffrey Dickens at the time of the account (1980's) against witchcraft and paganism in the area, but it was all blown out of proportion by the press as usual.
Back to top Go down
mysteryshopper

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Saddleworth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddleworth   Saddleworth Icon_minipostedThu 05 Jun 2008, 4:12 am

"We did not linger for much longer; as with many people growing up in the late 60's and early 70's listening to Led Zeppelin, my father knew enough about the Occult to realise that whatever had been going on here had been carried out by people with diabolical intensions..."

What? I've been a fan of Led Zep for decades, saw them several times, and know their work inside out but I've NEVER once associated it with the occult. Everyone knows that Jimmy Page owned Crowley's house but I can't say I ever noticed an obvious influence on their music. Have I been missing something all these years?
Back to top Go down
matt.h

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2008-01-30

Saddleworth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddleworth   Saddleworth Icon_minipostedThu 05 Jun 2008, 5:39 am

I've heard people suggest there's strong occult connotations in "Stairway to Heaven". I think the link is as much inferred from the music and general atmosphere in light of Page's heavy involvement with magick etc as it is explicitly lyrical.
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

Saddleworth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddleworth   Saddleworth Icon_minipostedThu 05 Jun 2008, 6:02 am

Quote :
What? I've been a fan of Led Zep for decades, saw them several times, and know their work inside out but I've NEVER once associated it with the occult. Everyone knows that Jimmy Page owned Crowley's house but I can't say I ever noticed an obvious influence on their music. Have I been missing something all these years?

Don't ask me. I wouldn't recognise a Led Zep song if it bit me on the ass. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mysteryshopper

Saddleworth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddleworth   Saddleworth Icon_minipostedThu 05 Jun 2008, 10:22 am

matt.h wrote:
I've heard people suggest there's strong occult connotations in "Stairway to Heaven". I think the link is as much inferred from the music and general atmosphere in light of Page's heavy involvement with magick etc as it is explicitly lyrical.

Most Zep lyrics are just typical 'hippy' stuff, quite typical of the period. Lots of other groups had similar lyrics but no one accused them of an occult connection.
Back to top Go down
DJP

DJP

Saddleworth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddleworth   Saddleworth Icon_minipostedFri 06 Jun 2008, 1:45 am

It was ‘rumored’ that Jimmy Page's interest in the Occult went a little deeper than just collecting Crowley memorabilia, and buying his house at Boleskin. Personally I don’t think he was involved in anything but his interest in Crowley was well known.

Apart from his interest the lyrics are pretty much mundane – I always thought Battle of the Evermore was about The Lord of the Rings
Back to top Go down
DJP

DJP

Saddleworth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddleworth   Saddleworth Icon_minipostedFri 06 Jun 2008, 9:25 am

Back on topic, Ian and I did a rudimentary investigation into occult activity that was being reported in the Press in the area round about 1990 (I still have the paper cuttings somewhere), but there was nothing sinister to my mind, just local witches practicing their own form of religion.

We also went to a ruined farm house to check out a story reported in the Oldham Evening Chronicle, which suggested it was used for ‘black magic(k)’ but it turned out to be inverted crosses and pentagrams probably just teenagers into the Metal scene at the time, nothing quite as involved as the article seemed to suggest.
Back to top Go down
LeeWat

LeeWat

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2007-09-02

Saddleworth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddleworth   Saddleworth Icon_minipostedFri 06 Jun 2008, 12:09 pm

Back in the late 80's early 90's there was a lot of scaremongering done in the local papers regarding Saddleworth as being a hotbed of satainism/occult/witchcraft activity. I along with Ian heard of some black magic(k) happenings at Pots and Pans. When we went up to investigate we found remains of candles in a small old disused quarry about 200 yards from the war memorial. In my mind they were leftovers from a witchcraft ritual, nothing sinister.
I dont think it was kids as apart from the candle wax there were no other leavings, i.e. empty beer/cider cans and its one hell of a walk up there, very steep.

Regarding the Stanage tale, whoever left the markings would have to be very commited to what they were doing to go that far to avioid detection.
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

Saddleworth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddleworth   Saddleworth Icon_minipostedSat 07 Jun 2008, 6:09 am

I think the whole matter about the tunnel is that whoever did this obviously had to plan. They went deep underground illegally into a dangerous tunnel to do their activities in secret. Regardless as to what they were actually doing they obviously didn't expect anyone else to discover their activities.

Obviously Saddleworth is also well known for the Moors Murders. One of my most vivid memories is of actually seeing Ian Brady when he was brought back up onto the moors to try and identify the location of the missing grave. He was as we drove past the burial sites, in the distance handcuffed to two officers. The police prescence was huge and I'm amazed we were allowed to drive past them.

My Grandad says that Myra Hindley went into his butchers shop in Denshaw (another part of Saddleworth).
Back to top Go down
wombat

wombat

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2008-04-06

Saddleworth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddleworth   Saddleworth Icon_minipostedMon 09 Jun 2008, 3:43 pm

At least in America much of what the press calls Satanism tends not to be - Wicca, perhaps, but not Satan Worship. That having been said, a roommate once worked as the therapist for a group of adults who had grown up in Satan-worshipping homes. They often had difficulty in getting people to believe what they had lived with.

As a Harry Potter fan, I get worried about phrases such as "diabolical intentions." My neighbor is sure that Rowling has written a series of books designed to turn us all into evil, etc. etc. and no amount of argument on my part that her books are about love is enough.
Back to top Go down
Mauro

Mauro

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-10-11

Saddleworth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddleworth   Saddleworth Icon_minipostedTue 10 Jun 2008, 7:28 am

If the story is real (most likely) it probably involves dabblers in the occult or unaffiliated "magicians". Nobody practicing ritual magick "seriously" would leave a ritual circle laying around. After the summoned entity is dismissed or banished the utmost care is taken in destroying the circle. Most practicioners will tell you that is done to ensure that not even a closed door will be left behind.
As I've already related there tend to be many types of Satanists: there are the serious, religious ones, like the followers of the Church of Satan and the Temple of Set; there are the smaller, mostly secretive cults, often comprising no more than a handful of members on a local basis which are quickly formed and quickly dissolved; and then there are the "weekend satanists", mostly boys (and girls, they are more numerous than they appear) taking up "satanism" at a face value. I don't know how the movement has evolved but I remember clearly passing behind an hospital one morning a couple of years ago and seeing inverted crosses and quotes from Cradle of Filth songs spraypainted on a wall. The immancable empty bottles of cheap booze were piled at the bottom of this "masterpiece". For me it was just an irritating display of vandalism but for some more sensible type it may be a "satanic indicator".
Back to top Go down
Red Don

Red Don

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2007-09-23

Saddleworth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddleworth   Saddleworth Icon_minipostedTue 10 Jun 2008, 7:30 am

I think too many people point the finger and label things satanic, but Black Magic doesn't have to be related to Satan. Not sure why someone would want to do a ritual so far underground. They must have been dedicated to their works thats for sure.
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

Saddleworth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddleworth   Saddleworth Icon_minipostedTue 10 Jun 2008, 8:06 am

You can rest assured the story is real Mauro. Both Dan and I can vouch for at least two of those present.
Back to top Go down
Mauro

Mauro

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-10-11

Saddleworth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddleworth   Saddleworth Icon_minipostedWed 11 Jun 2008, 6:22 am

Ian wrote:
You can rest assured the story is real Mauro. Both Dan and I can vouch for at least two of those present.

I rest my case... Smile
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

Saddleworth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddleworth   Saddleworth Icon_minipostedWed 11 Jun 2008, 2:37 pm

It wasn't me Mauro Very Happy .

I Pot Hole (which is dangerous), been known to break into and explore sealed and disused mines (which is really dangerous), but I've never ventured into Standedge Tunnel, with or without a ritual kit bag Suspect .
Back to top Go down
mysteryshopper

Saddleworth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddleworth   Saddleworth Icon_minipostedTue 29 Jul 2008, 8:23 am

Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

Saddleworth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddleworth   Saddleworth Icon_minipostedTue 29 Jul 2008, 9:10 am

Ian Brady's victims were found near the Holmfirth Road from Greenfield. I wonder how recent these remains are.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Saddleworth Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saddleworth   Saddleworth Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Saddleworth
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mysterious Britain Forums :: Mysterious Britain :: Occult-
Jump to: