Mysterious Britain Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mysterious Britain Forums

for the open discussion of all things paranormal.

HomeHome  Mysterious Britain mainpageMysterious Britain mainpage  Mailing ListMailing List  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Dress code for spirit

Go down 
+2
Urisk
Angel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Angel

Angel

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Dress code for spirit Empty
PostSubject: Dress code for spirit   Dress code for spirit Icon_minipostedTue 15 Jan 2008, 3:05 am

I have noticed that many people who claim to see "girl" spirit children..most of them are seen to have a "white dress" on.......

correct me if im wrong..but it seems a bit odd....does anyone have any thoughts on this ?

some have since pointed out that there are possibilities of in years gone,sick children were dressed in their night clothes which could resemble what we cld perceive as a dress,and often enough buried them in them,or dressed them in baptism clothes after their death..
Back to top Go down
http://thisstrangesworld.co.uk
Urisk

Urisk

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2007-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Dress code for spirit   Dress code for spirit Icon_minipostedTue 15 Jan 2008, 6:12 am

There's a similar thread here talking about "colour coding" or something similar; Green Ladies and the like. Might be worth having a look. That's a good point regarding clothing, and that's what I believe the scenario involves. But one thought: Does the ghost necessarily have to be wearing the clothes it did at time of death? What I mean is, given that ghosts are invariably linked to a tragic event (thus highly stressful to the individual; strong emotions and all that) but does this tragic event have to be the cause of the ghost's death? In other words, can a person experience a tragic event, live through it but never fully recover, die, and become a ghost, but linked not to its death but to the tragic event that happened before?
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2007-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Dress code for spirit   Dress code for spirit Icon_minipostedTue 15 Jan 2008, 6:20 am

This has got me thinking about Roman soldier ghosts again. They are seen in their armour, usually marching or riding horses. I am not sure if there are any Roman battlefield ghosts. I wonder if their marching around York so stressful that it created a ghost?
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk
Angel

Angel

PostSubject: Re: Dress code for spirit   Dress code for spirit Icon_minipostedTue 15 Jan 2008, 9:17 am

im not sure what sightings you are refering to here (above),but such similar sightings can be the result of "replays" and not that of actual spirit haunting there and then,so this cld be "one" reason for certain clothing being present.
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

PostSubject: Re: Dress code for spirit   Dress code for spirit Icon_minipostedTue 15 Jan 2008, 11:30 am

There are several haunting theories, one being spirits and one being the stone tape or recording theory. Do you think both could be operating independantly? They could I suppose as it is common belief. I have been trying to look at the paranormal and certain subjects together looking for similarities and seeing they have common roots.
Back to top Go down
Angel

Angel

PostSubject: Re: Dress code for spirit   Dress code for spirit Icon_minipostedTue 15 Jan 2008, 12:22 pm

i think they are seperate,for the very simple reason that recordings do not interact with the physical,whereas "normal" spirit can
Back to top Go down
Mauro

Mauro

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-10-11

PostSubject: Re: Dress code for spirit   Dress code for spirit Icon_minipostedTue 15 Jan 2008, 5:22 pm

That's an interesting theory Ian. Roman legionaries usually wore armour only when in combat, just like any other armoured fighter of the past. Their usual garb was a short wool tunic and heavy sandals (caligae) yet nobody ever reported seeing similar figures, perhaps busy building a military road.
As for ghost children... well. You are right Angel: most of the time their clad in pure white garnments. But let's face it: until quite recently pure white garnments were only available to the very rich and white has never been quite fashionable (mainly because it doesn't hold dirt very well and washing machines are a recent development). How could a XVII century innskeeper's daughter (just an example) own a pure white dress when most nobles and landowners couldn't afford one?
White is often considered a symbol of purity (Castitatis lilium) and what's purer than a child? But truth to be told white is the colour of death, not black as is usually believed (that's an early XVII century development).
Couldn't just be that our brain is dressing up the apparition in the colour we (inconsciously) see fit?
Back to top Go down
Angel

Angel

PostSubject: Re: Dress code for spirit   Dress code for spirit Icon_minipostedWed 16 Jan 2008, 12:41 am

or that some spirit dress accordingly for ease of recognition
Back to top Go down
mogg-y

mogg-y

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Dress code for spirit   Dress code for spirit Icon_minipostedWed 16 Jan 2008, 3:32 am

Its surprising that the garment "seen" doesn't reflect fashions. Todays children wear what jeans and a jumper, and babies baby grows. Will the ghosts of the future wear modern clothes or be seen in white nighties like children gone before?
Back to top Go down
Stephen Evans

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2007-11-07

PostSubject: Re: Dress code for spirit   Dress code for spirit Icon_minipostedWed 16 Jan 2008, 3:54 am

There is a young girl who haunts the Punch House in Monmouth now an inn with rooms, but formerly a Court. She has been encountered a number of times and most reports mention Victorian dress. affraid
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

PostSubject: Re: Dress code for spirit   Dress code for spirit Icon_minipostedWed 16 Jan 2008, 11:49 am

A lot of people who see ghosts don't realise they have at first. I suppose that the more outlandish the costume, the more likely you would be to realise that there is something wrong quicker.
Back to top Go down
Angel

Angel

PostSubject: Re: Dress code for spirit   Dress code for spirit Icon_minipostedThu 17 Jan 2008, 4:06 am

the first time i saw the man in my home,i thought we had been burgled,lol

some years ago too,i saw a boy in a derilict building,who stood holding a knife,his clothes didnt look out of place allthough i dont recall what he had on..i though me and my mate who was with me and saw him too,were gonna be in big trouble..we went to a window and tried to tell the friends below,someone had a knife,"we couldnt speak"..as we turned to see what this lad was doing,he jumped backwards,and was gone as if falling down a hole...it was impossible for him to have done that...im convinced he was a spirit..and like the man in my home..looked as solid as you or I.
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

PostSubject: Re: Dress code for spirit   Dress code for spirit Icon_minipostedThu 17 Jan 2008, 6:08 am

Probably one the few times you'd be glad it was a ghost. A strnger with a knife would be far more scary than anything paranormal.
Back to top Go down
Angel

Angel

PostSubject: Re: Dress code for spirit   Dress code for spirit Icon_minipostedThu 17 Jan 2008, 9:41 am

cant agree more
Back to top Go down
Urisk

Urisk

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2007-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Dress code for spirit   Dress code for spirit Icon_minipostedFri 18 Jan 2008, 2:41 am

Agreed. At least, normally, a spirit won't be able to hurt you!

mogg-y wrote:
Its surprising that the garment "seen" doesn't reflect fashions. Todays children wear what jeans and a jumper, and babies baby grows. Will the ghosts of the future wear modern clothes or be seen in white nighties like children gone before?

But what are they clothed in when/after they die? I don't know if that's a point. Interesting prospect would be, considering the "oldest ghost" thread, what is the youngest? Could it be that these phenomena take some time to develop? Could it be that "contempory" apparitions haven't gotten round to manifestation, so to speak?
Back to top Go down
mogg-y

mogg-y

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Dress code for spirit   Dress code for spirit Icon_minipostedFri 18 Jan 2008, 5:50 am

Actually Urisk thats something I hadnt considered before now. Maybe you're right, maybe it does take a while to develop.

Your other point about what they wear when they die - well not everyone is clothed when they pass over - are there naked spirits out there?

Or do some spirits take on a "uniform" for want of a better word of a white outfit /battle dress/ monks habit rather than their usual everyday outfits?

Or is it just our brains that can't catergorise the information that they are "seeing" which cause them to "see" or maybe "perceive" spirits wearing similar outfits? (if that makes any sense) Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

PostSubject: Re: Dress code for spirit   Dress code for spirit Icon_minipostedFri 18 Jan 2008, 11:36 am

Interesting idea about ghosts needing to age before they can haunt properly. I wonder what the youngest ghost is?

I think you have a valid point Mogg-y concerning what our brains can percieve especially if ghosts are connected to the EMF theory.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dress code for spirit   Dress code for spirit Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

Dress code for spirit
Page 1 of 1