Mysterious Britain Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Mysterious Britain Forums

for the open discussion of all things paranormal.

HomeHome  Mysterious Britain mainpageMysterious Britain mainpage  Mailing ListMailing List  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

buying or selling a haunted property

Go down 
+4
LeeWat
mogg-y
Ian
Angel
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Angel

Angel

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2008-01-13

buying or selling a haunted property Empty
PostSubject: buying or selling a haunted property   buying or selling a haunted property Icon_minipostedSun 13 Jan 2008, 3:43 pm

if you knew your home was haunted,would you tell potential buyers ?
and would you buy a haunted property ?

im lucky in a sense,our home is rented from the council,so the day we move i have no problems,however the council now have a obligation to tell any future tenant about what occured here,even though it now fine.

i would never buy a property that i "know" to be haunted,but i do believe that every building spirits pass through 24/7 its simply up to the individual sometimes if they are sensitive enough to pick this up (not allways the case though)....so i guess me being me will allways have something in the background...but id rather have loads of visitaion than a grounded spirit any time !!
Back to top Go down
http://thisstrangesworld.co.uk
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2007-08-24

PostSubject: Re: buying or selling a haunted property   buying or selling a haunted property Icon_minipostedMon 14 Jan 2008, 4:51 am

I suppose, seriously, if you wanted to offload your house you'd be looking at making as much money as possible on the sale. In some cases a haunting may make your house more desirable where in others it would not. I suppose it would all depend upon the prospective buyer as to whether I would mention it or not.

I grew up in a haunted house and had footsteps on the landing, a baby crying in the bathroom and recently my dad has seen a cowled figure walk into his bedroom. Would I buy one though? I spend a lot of time investigating cases of hauntings and want to say yes, but truth be told, at home I want to relax and not be bothered by a ghost anymore.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysteriousbritain.co.uk
mogg-y

mogg-y

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2007-12-29

PostSubject: Re: buying or selling a haunted property   buying or selling a haunted property Icon_minipostedMon 14 Jan 2008, 6:25 am

Tricky one. On the one hand you want to leave so you don't want to mention anything that might be off putting. But equally you (probably!) wouldnt want the next family to have problems either.

It would be interesting to speak to the people who rented your house before you Angel to see if they had noticed similar things too when they were there.

Could it be that you have had more activity in your property since you have been there because you are in tune with spirits/ believe/ are sensitive to it? Will the next tenant have the same experiences as you?
Back to top Go down
Angel

Angel

PostSubject: Re: buying or selling a haunted property   buying or selling a haunted property Icon_minipostedMon 14 Jan 2008, 11:49 am

im sure i heard somewhere that "things" like this have to be disclosed,wether ppl do or not is a different story,i mean you could deny such claims couldnt you.

As for my house mogg-y,it turns out that i am actually the third tenant to claim such goings on at the house,one account actually being very similar to one of my oen expierences,the lady of the house claimed to have saw a man upstairs,her hubby raced round the house with a base ball bat to find "nobody" there.

the tennant before this one had apparantly made a joke about the "ghost" playing up again on several occasions to a cpl of neighbours.i personally believe most of my neighbours thought and still think im crazy,there non believers most of them,despite two previous tenants claims now,and even talked about my family behind our backs,saying we must be getting paid and making a mint !!
HOW SAD !!,i would however love to talk to the first tennants myself,they still live on the estate somewhere,it wld be interesting.
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

PostSubject: Re: buying or selling a haunted property   buying or selling a haunted property Icon_minipostedMon 14 Jan 2008, 12:11 pm

It certainly would be interesting. With the previous tennants having had similar experiences without your prior knowledge makes the case even more evidential and especially interesting Angel.

As for selling a haunted house, your right, you can always deny it Wink .
Back to top Go down
Angel

Angel

PostSubject: Re: buying or selling a haunted property   buying or selling a haunted property Icon_minipostedMon 14 Jan 2008, 12:52 pm

disruptive neighbours you cant deny,but spooks is another story like we say,id like to see this one stand in court.

im actually annoyed with the local council,they did nothing to help us at all,there only offer was "go get a priest"barr silly comment about "ohh thats so cool,lol",in reality this is there property as we only rent,but they didnt budge at all,they did however give permission for the house to be investigated,hmmm i wonder why ??

i may look into contacting the first tennants (only 3 in all),if i do i will let you know what they say.(with permission of course)
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

PostSubject: Re: buying or selling a haunted property   buying or selling a haunted property Icon_minipostedMon 14 Jan 2008, 1:07 pm

There was a recent poltergeist case in Carlisle and the housing association that owned the house said to the press something along the lines of "In these cases we usually bring in priest for an exorcisim". It made me wonder, how many such cases do councils and housing associations actually get if they have a prepared response?
Back to top Go down
mogg-y

mogg-y

PostSubject: Re: buying or selling a haunted property   buying or selling a haunted property Icon_minipostedMon 14 Jan 2008, 1:16 pm

interesting. Do councils have budgets for exorcisms I wonder? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
LeeWat

LeeWat

Number of posts : 230
Registration date : 2007-09-02

PostSubject: Re: buying or selling a haunted property   buying or selling a haunted property Icon_minipostedMon 14 Jan 2008, 2:22 pm

By the look of Ians post they do, they have to get rid of the budget money somehow Smile
Back to top Go down
LeeWat

LeeWat

PostSubject: Re: buying or selling a haunted property   buying or selling a haunted property Icon_minipostedMon 14 Jan 2008, 2:25 pm

By the look of Ians post they do, they have to get rid of the budget money somehow Smile
Back to top Go down
LeeWat

LeeWat

PostSubject: Re: buying or selling a haunted property   buying or selling a haunted property Icon_minipostedMon 14 Jan 2008, 2:26 pm

oops, double page expired post, sorry.
Back to top Go down
mogg-y

mogg-y

PostSubject: Re: buying or selling a haunted property   buying or selling a haunted property Icon_minipostedMon 14 Jan 2008, 2:28 pm

heres me thinking i was suffering from deja vu lol
Back to top Go down
Mauro

Mauro

Number of posts : 217
Registration date : 2007-10-11

PostSubject: Re: buying or selling a haunted property   buying or selling a haunted property Icon_minipostedMon 14 Jan 2008, 4:38 pm

This what Americans call "stygmatized property".
I've already mentioned the case of a former colleague of my father: he lived in a "haunted house" a few miles from the outskirts of Birmingham. Truth to be told he said he was quite happy with his "haunt" (which he considered the ghost of a housemaid or butler) since he felt it to be a benevolent presence that even helped with chores around the house! But he said that he wouldn't set a foot in a nearby house built during King Charles I reign that was said to be haunted by Civil War soldiers. They were supposed to keep up an infernal racket by night by renacting a game of dices or card and loudly arguing over it.
Another exemplary case is Boleskine Manor: this house was owned by the infamous magician Aleister Crowley and his rituals are said to have attracted malignant presences that still haunt the house to this day and that are said to have caused many accidents (Crowley had a small structure built to keep evil spirits captives but this apparently it started to "leak" during the magician's life causing much trouble in the neighbourhood). Yet Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page paid a small fortune for it and recently sold it for an undisclosed sum. The property, despite its sinister history, has always been valued much more than its actual value.
I guess it all depends on what you are looking for in a house: there are those who want a cottage by a loch, those who want good services at a stone throw... and those who want a ghost in the attic.
Back to top Go down
Angel

Angel

PostSubject: Re: buying or selling a haunted property   buying or selling a haunted property Icon_minipostedTue 15 Jan 2008, 2:47 am

mogg-y wrote:
interesting. Do councils have budgets for exorcisms I wonder? Rolling Eyes

well if they do,i doubt they ever disclose this info,when they said to me get a priest,it was there way of saying sort it yourself.
Back to top Go down
mogg-y

mogg-y

PostSubject: Re: buying or selling a haunted property   buying or selling a haunted property Icon_minipostedTue 15 Jan 2008, 3:39 am

If you had a leaky tap, the council I presume would send someone to sort it and pick up the tab? If your central heating was on strike they would fix that too. I suppose that if any other problems arose in your property they should also fix those too even if they were of a paranormal nature? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Angel

Angel

PostSubject: Re: buying or selling a haunted property   buying or selling a haunted property Icon_minipostedTue 15 Jan 2008, 3:51 am

not everybody shares the same view on paranormal though do they,like i say noisy neighbours,leaky taps you cant deny,but spooks !!!
Back to top Go down
Urisk

Urisk

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2007-10-01

PostSubject: Re: buying or selling a haunted property   buying or selling a haunted property Icon_minipostedTue 15 Jan 2008, 6:06 am

Hmmm. It all depends on whether a prospective buyer initially believes or not. Who knows?
Back to top Go down
Dave

Dave

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2008-02-03

PostSubject: Re: buying or selling a haunted property   buying or selling a haunted property Icon_minipostedTue 12 Feb 2008, 7:46 am

Quote :
If you had a leaky tap, the council I presume would send someone to sort it and pick up the tab? If your central heating was on strike they would fix that too. I suppose that if any other problems arose in your property they should also fix those too even if they were of a paranormal nature?

If something goes wrong with your central heating or taps it faulty installation or parts wearing out or something. But do councils consider paranormal goings-on as something like an "act of God?"
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

PostSubject: Re: buying or selling a haunted property   buying or selling a haunted property Icon_minipostedTue 12 Feb 2008, 10:03 am

Back to top Go down
Angel

Angel

PostSubject: Re: buying or selling a haunted property   buying or selling a haunted property Icon_minipostedTue 12 Feb 2008, 12:23 pm

well at least they offered something,i think that the council and all other housing associations should have a clause in events like this,at the end of the day..THEY OWN THE HOUSE,not the tennants.I was bummed off on a few occasions.and that really annoyed me,despite not expecting everyone to believe my claims..

they should think themselves lucky..i cld have asked for a reduction in my full rent,as i was sharing my house with someone,PMSL.
Back to top Go down
baroniveagh

baroniveagh

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-09-18

PostSubject: Re: buying or selling a haunted property   buying or selling a haunted property Icon_minipostedFri 19 Sep 2008, 1:53 am

In certain parts of the US it's actually illegal for realtors to not inform a buyer if a house is haunted or some other unusual event took place there (axe murder, etc). They're required to 'fully disclose' any such occurances and some lawsuits have been won based on a failure to disclose.
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

PostSubject: Re: buying or selling a haunted property   buying or selling a haunted property Icon_minipostedSat 20 Sep 2008, 6:53 am

I wonder what would happen if someone bought somewhere after being told it was haunted and nothing happened. Could they sue?
Back to top Go down
LeeWat

LeeWat

PostSubject: Re: buying or selling a haunted property   buying or selling a haunted property Icon_minipostedSat 20 Sep 2008, 9:07 am

I wouldnt be suprised if someone in America has already tried.
Back to top Go down
Ian
Admin
Admin
Ian

PostSubject: Re: buying or selling a haunted property   buying or selling a haunted property Icon_minipostedMon 22 Sep 2008, 7:17 am

Looks like the above posts have disappeared Shocked

It looks like posts made yesterday have been lost by the server. As we don't have access to this database there is little I can do.
Back to top Go down
LeeWat

LeeWat

PostSubject: Re: buying or selling a haunted property   buying or selling a haunted property Icon_minipostedMon 22 Sep 2008, 11:48 am

spooky Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: buying or selling a haunted property   buying or selling a haunted property Icon_miniposted

Back to top Go down

buying or selling a haunted property
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next